Saturday, March 6, 2010

Why don't we care about Chile?

I don't understand why no one seems to care about Chile.
They had one of the strongest earthquakes ever (8.8!!!)
There was major devastation and destruction.
There was looting and a period of chaos.
But it doesn't seem that anyone cares about Chile.
No one is singing "We Are The World".
There are no massive airlifts.
No troops, no hospital ships.
There's no Anderson Cooper rescuing children from unruly street gangs.
There's no Sanjay Gupta doing brain surgery on televisi0n.
There are no celebrities having telethons.
No one is saying "Just Text CHILE and you can make a $10 donation"
What is wrong with Chile?
Doesn't any one care or are we only allowed one major catastrophic earthquake a year?
What's the deal?
Who cares about Chile?

2 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Oh there are pleas for funds to help Chile; you just haven't seen them. I suspect it's because the level of human tragedy was so much greater in Haiti and the country was less able to deal with it.

I care about Chile. Many people I care about deeply live there. And there hasn't been just ONE earth quake. There have been so many aftershocks all up and down the length of the country, each of them stronger than the strongest earthquake (5.6) that I have been through. I don't know how they are dealing with it all emotionally.

Stephie said...

I was wondering the same thing! Where is the "Help Chile" telethon? Where's George Clooney rallying his celeb buds? We love Haiti but not Chili?

Glad I wasn't the only one wondering.