Friday, March 19, 2010

A Little Benign Neglect Goes A Long Way..

Amazingly enough, a little benign neglect goes a long way.
What a surprise.
I went to my doctor for my annual physical yesterday.
Did I mention I HATE going to the doctor?
I don't like to go. I don't want a bunch of referrals I don't want to open a can of worms but I had questions about a few issues.
I would prefer to ignore something and not do anything.
I just want him to know about stuff so if something bad happens, he can't say "You never mentioned that..."
But I went for my annual physical yesterday.
I'd been dreading it for weeks because I just can't talk to my doctor.
He's very nice but he always seems so busy.
So....I had a bunch of questions and concerns.
I wrote them down and was very patient.
I explained to my doctor that it was difficult to ask him questions while i was sitting there naked in nothing but a flimsy paper gown.
He was very kind.
He was very patient.
He took a long time and listened to all my questions and concerns.
He gave me stuff that I wanted and didn't push me into doing stuff I didn't want.
But here is the interesting part.
For someone who does not want to go to the doctor unless I am dying or mortally injured, I am remarkably healthy.
My labs were great.
My EKG was excellent.
My weight was okay.
Everything was on the up side of very good.
I was pleased and I am glad I don't have to go back for another year.
And I am a FIRM believer in the concept of benign neglect.
It works.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Sometimes it all works out. :)

salemslot9 said...

writing down your
questions was the
answer

Lori said...

Glad it went well. It was very smart of you to write down your questions and to make sure he knew how much you needed him to listen.