Friday, July 31, 2009

And introducing our new cast....

After what seemed like an impossibly long two weeks, I finally got back to the doctor yesterday.
They removed the temporary splint they had put on my leg after the surgery and I must admit it was huge relief. The temporary splint had been very uncomfortable. They took out the stitches, (16 on the outside of my ankle, 6 on the inside and re-xrayed it. This was the first time I got a good look at all the hardware and believe me, it IS hardware. I have two 3' stainless steel screws (I thought they were titanium but he said they were German stainless steel) one on each side of mu ankle holding the bones together and also a plate with 4 additional screws stabilizing the ankle. Damn. That was one BAD break, a lot worse than I realized.
I cannot move my ankle (although the doctor said I will eventually be able to) and he made me work with it until I could move it at least 6' before he put the cast on.
The new cast is SOOOOOOO much better. It's one of those fiberglass jobs (just plain white, even though I wanted camo) and it feels 100% better. It is soft on the inside, a lot more secure and stable.
He said I should start putting a little bit of weight on it (like standing up to brush my teeth) and I need to start trying the crutches. I am still very leery of those but it's not.) as bad with this new cast on.
And the one big deal is at least I can sleep comfortably now, in any position I want. With the temporary one, I could feel the jagged plaster inside and it would dig into my leg unless I positioned it just right. The new cast is comfy and it doesn't poke into my leg anywhere.
At least I am making progress, although my leg looks like a kid who had polio in the '50s.
I think this will be a LONG haul. He did give me a temporary handicap sticker for 4 months (that'll make things easier) and he said I could have physical therapy if I need it. (Oh yeah, I'm gonna need it.)
Hubby is trying his best but this is NOT easy for him. His entire routine of doing nothing has been disrupted and it will be good when I can start doing more things on my own. Feeding and going outside, I am still not sure of yet.
But at least I am making SOME progress.
I go back to the doctor again in 3 weeks,
I guess I'll wait until then before I sign up for the Clog dancing championships in September.



garnett109 said...

I bet hubby is having fun feeding your animals

salemslot9 said...

very positive attitude, Sunny

Laane said...

Ugh, what a terrible experience.
And adding to it someone who isn't used to do something.

I guess you feel just like I do when something hits me...

With the mexflu coming I'm sure I'm supposed not to feel it and the guys can moan and groan for 14 days or more. Laying flat on their backs waiting until I come and pour sweet drinks in their mouths. (NOT!)

I'm glad you can sleep with that leg now. Hope you can do your own things soon.

Anonymous said...

"Tube Air" which is visible in several small Asics Tiger circles on the midsole of the shoe, "Total Air" which is basically just another word for full Air Max cushioning, "Tuned Air," Hogan Shoes which is a system of individual pods supposedly "tuned" to different areas of the foot. Air in the early 1990s which was visible through the bottom of the shoe (although smaller portions of Air units are visible through the bottom of many Air Max models) and another type of Air cushioning is the low profile and very responsive "Zoom Air." Franklin Marshall Sale The symbols of air cushioning is the 1993 model, which the first to have the fully visible heel Air unit that was visible in the back as well as on the sides.